This Social Corner page will feature your beloved recipes that you wish to share with your neighbors. If you have a favorite recipe you wish to share, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deviled Eggs with Capers (March 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
12 extra large eggs
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
1 ½ tsp champaign vinegar
2 tbsp capers (rinsed)
1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Fine sea salt and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- Carefully lower eggs with a spoon into boiling water – boil for 10 min
- Place boiled eggs into ice bath for 5 minutes, once cool – peel eggs, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out hard-boiled yolks into a food processor.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, capers, parsley, salt and cayenne pepper to food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Spoon mixture into piping bag or zip lock with end cut off and decoratively pipe mixture into egg white halves. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Jan/Feb 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 oz of white chocolate chopped
1 lb of strawberries with stems (about 20) – washed and dried well
- In a double-boiler or microwave melt the semi-sweet chocolate until smooth being careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Holding the strawberries by the stem carefully dip into the melted chocolate and place on a cook sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once all strawberries are coated, set aside for 30 min or refrigerate for 15 min.
- While the chocolate sets melt the white chocolate in the double-boiler or microwave.
- Dip a small spoon into the white chocolate and splatter lightly the white chocolate in stripes over the set strawberries. Allow the white chocolate to set and ENJOY!
Classic Mulled Wine (Nov/Dec 2020 Splasher) – from Meera Desai
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (also peeled, if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2–4 tablespoons sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional add-in: 1/4 cup brandy (or your favorite liqueur)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and give them a quick stir.
- Heat until the wine just barely reaches a simmer over medium-high heat. (Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain and season. Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise and ginger. Give the mulled wine a taste, and stir in your desired amount of extra sweetener if needed.
- Serve warm in heatproof mugs, topped with your favorite garnishes.
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
(October 2020 Splasher) from Sharon Pope
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice
(1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ginger)
1 package angel food cake mix
Cool Whip for topping (optional)
Grated walnuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine pumpkin and spices in large bowl and prepare cake mix using box directions in another bowl
- Fold a quarter of the batter into the pumpkin mix. Gently fold in remaining cake batter.
- SPOON into ungreased tube pan (not a fluted BUNDT pan) bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with Cool Whip, and walnuts if desired.
1 (3.4-oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for garnish
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin purée
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix, spices, and salt. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, and whole milk and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
In another large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold two-thirds of the whipped cream into pumpkin mixture until smooth. Spoon or pipe into serving dishes and top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and serve.