This Social Corner page will feature your beloved recipes that you wish to share with your neighbors. If you have a favorite recipe you wish to share, please send it to email@example.com.
Greek Salad (May 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
- 1 hothouse cucumber, large-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Prickly Pear Margarita (April 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
- 3 ounces clear tequila
- 2 ounces Cointreau
- 2 ounces freshly-squeezed lime
- 1 ounce prickly pear syrup
- Lime and kosher salt for garnish
- Begin by running a wedge
of lime around the edge of
your margarita glass. Dip in
kosher salt to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker filled
with ice, add the tequila,
Cointreau, freshlysqueezed lime juice, and
prickly pear syrup. Shake
vigorously. Strain into your
prepared margarita glasses
filled will ice.
Deviled Eggs with Capers (March 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
a lime slice to serve.3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
1 ½ tsp champaign vinegar
2 tbsp capers (rinsed)
1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
Fine sea salt and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- Carefully lower eggs with a spoon into boiling water – boil for 10 min
- Place boiled eggs into ice bath for 5 minutes, once cool – peel eggs, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out hard-boiled yolks into a food processor.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, capers, parsley, salt and cayenne pepper to food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Spoon mixture into piping bag or zip lock with end cut off and decoratively pipe mixture into egg white halves. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Jan/Feb 2021 Splasher) from Meera Desai
6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 oz of white chocolate chopped
1 lb of strawberries with stems (about 20) – washed and dried well
- In a double-boiler or microwave melt the semi-sweet chocolate until smooth being careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Holding the strawberries by the stem carefully dip into the melted chocolate and place on a cook sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once all strawberries are coated, set aside for 30 min or refrigerate for 15 min.
- While the chocolate sets melt the white chocolate in the double-boiler or microwave.
- Dip a small spoon into the white chocolate and splatter lightly the white chocolate in stripes over the set strawberries. Allow the white chocolate to set and ENJOY!
Classic Mulled Wine (Nov/Dec 2020 Splasher) – from Meera Desai
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (also peeled, if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2–4 tablespoons sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional add-in: 1/4 cup brandy (or your favorite liqueur)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and give them a quick stir.
- Heat until the wine just barely reaches a simmer over medium-high heat. (Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain and season. Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise and ginger. Give the mulled wine a taste, and stir in your desired amount of extra sweetener if needed.
- Serve warm in heatproof mugs, topped with your favorite garnishes.
Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
(October 2020 Splasher) from Sharon Pope
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice
(1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ginger)
1 package angel food cake mix
Cool Whip for topping (optional)
Grated walnuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine pumpkin and spices in large bowl and prepare cake mix using box directions in another bowl
- Fold a quarter of the batter into the pumpkin mix. Gently fold in remaining cake batter.
- SPOON into ungreased tube pan (not a fluted BUNDT pan) bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with Cool Whip, and walnuts if desired.
1 (3.4-oz.) package instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for garnish
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin purée
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mix, spices, and salt. Add pumpkin, maple syrup, vanilla, and whole milk and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
In another large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold two-thirds of the whipped cream into pumpkin mixture until smooth. Spoon or pipe into serving dishes and top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and serve.